Marathon Training and Nutrition

<Marathon Training and Nutrition>

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Last long run before marathon

Today's schedule called for a one and a half hour run at a fast pace. I managed to cover just short of 11 miles in the time which for me is pretty good. Perhaps the most encouraging aspect was that I left off my hamstring strap for the first time in half a dozen runs and I felt no reaction at all. My brain now believes that my hamstring is officially 100% again. What a relief. I felt strong the whole way and could have gone just a little faster if my life depended on it. If I could maintain something like that speed for the whole marathon I'd come in somewhere around 3 hr 45min. Now, that's a tall order but possible I believe. I've still got a couple of weeks to fine tune my body and my brain before the big day and I believe I can go slightly faster on the actual marathon race than I did today, provided the volume of runners doesn't get in the way of running freely.

I had 18 holes of golf yesterday at Moor Park Golf Club in Middlesex. It is one of the nicest club houses in the country (used to belong to Lord Unilever (of soap fame) and features ceilings in the mode of the Cistene Chapel. Quite delightful. I haven't swung a club since last October (too busy training) but still I managed to shoot a credible 83 and scored 36 stableford points. I also missed 4 putts of under three feet so a really good score was within my grasp. I had a fantastic day and want to thank Mr Philip Lovegrove who so generously sponsors the event every year. The man is a legend, and a generous legend at that!

Its my wife's 49th birthday today so we will be going out for a meal later and a glass of red wine - my last drink of alcohol before the actual marathon. Soon be time to start loading the carbs.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home