Marathon Training and Nutrition

<Marathon Training and Nutrition>

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Hopeful signs for the marathon

I went for three slow runs last week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with Friday being a run of 10k. I finished all three runs with no problems at all muscle wise. Times were all slow but that was not the main objective. On Saturday I decided to go for a faster run with my usual partner Andrew but about 2k into it (probably doing about 8mph) my hamstring tweaked again. I immediately slowed down and jogged home feeling the dull pain the whole way. I felt sick but once I got home I iced it and rested it.

I was conducting a wedding that night in the centre of London and so we went and had a lovely time. It really took my mind off my injury.

I rested on Sunday (from running I mean) and then on Monday I decided to go for a long run with my wife. She is very slow but very steady. For the first 8 miles we ran at about 5.5 hour marathon pace and then for the next 8 miles about 6 hour marathon pace. I had strapped my hamstring up and it felt quite secure. About 1k into the run I felt it tweak again and I just thought, "Stuff it - I'm going to keep going!" So I did. In the end the pain went away (or I got used to it, I don't know) and I ran for 3.5 hours. I finished knowing I could have ran on at that slow pace for as long as I wanted really. This morning I have no pain at all except for the lovely tiredness in my quads which marathon training always brings.

I've ordered a groin strap which I hope will allow me to increase my pace without damaging the muscle. I've lost some really good training time but I'm a bit more hopeful that I can at least complete the Stockholm Marathon which is on June 9th. All in all, a positive run.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home