Marathon Training and Nutrition

<Marathon Training and Nutrition>

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Garmin Forerunner 201


I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I'd bought the Garmin Forerunner 201 to help me in my marathon training. I have to say that, apart from finding a real life running partner, that this little piece of technology has been the biggest boost to my training this year. I love the split lap timer and counter and it really helps you spot when you begin to tire and prepare for it next time.


It has numerous functions and capabilities but I tend to just leave the display on three permanent settings. They are:- 1. time elapsed; 2. distance covered in miles; 3. current speed in m.p.h.


I have come to especially value the speed setting because I nkow that as long as I can maintain, say, 7.5 mph for as long as possible that a 4 hour marathon is well within my grasp. Its great not to have to guess how fast you're running.


When I get home at the end of a run I can upload all the history onto my computer and analyse and juggle it to my hearts content. Being a bit of a stats freak I love this component of the watch.


Some folk think that the 201 is a bit chunky but I have to say that I never notice it when I'm running. The velcro strap makes sure that I can tighten the strap as much as I need and it doesn't move around.


If you are looking for an electronic running companion then I can recommend the Garmin. I believe the 301 and above is even better and much more compact. Take a look at the Google ads on the sidebar to see the latest models and prices and see what they could do for your running times. The newer models even have heart monitors - can you believe it? Check it out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home