Marathon Training and Nutrition

<Marathon Training and Nutrition>

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Beautiful Bank Holiday Half Marathon

I phoned Andrew on Sunday night to see if he was up for a serious training session on bank holiday Monday. He had spoken about doing a 20 miler but I wasn't up for that because it just takes so much out of me and with us running the Stockholm marathon in June I didn't think that it was the right timing for it. I plan to do a 20 mile training run either the last Saturday of April or the first Saturday of May, that will leave a decent amount of time to taper off... but not too long.

At any rate, when I called Andrew he was feeling pretty weak with a virus that is not easily shaken off. He said that he was unable to train much the whole time I was in Turkey because he felt so tired. He just couldn't run so I decided to just do a half marathon distance on my own.

In the end I ran 14.3 miles in just over 2 hours which was okay given that it includes a massive, long, steep hill at about mile 10 which just about brings me to a standstill. It was a beautiful day and I finished feeling quite strong. I could definitely have gone another few miles without too much problem. All fine and dandy.

However, after playing football last night, when I tried to go for a quick 10k tonight my legs were like lead. There was just no way I could get a decent pace up so I just listened to my body and had a slow jog, followed by a nice walk with Swizzle my dog. I'll try the fast 10k tomorrow night followed on Friday by some sprint training. I'm not worried at all by tonight's flop because I feel that I am getting stronger and coming to a peak at the right time.

I just need to stay fit and healthy now. I'm still wearing the Q-Link pendant but cannot really say that I've noticed too much difference in my energy levels or sleep patterns. My sore knees have stopped but that could be to do with tossing out my old trainers and only wearing new trainers. I'll keep monitoring.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home