Marathon Training and Nutrition

<Marathon Training and Nutrition>

Monday, April 23, 2007

Feeling strong and positive

I prepared a final countdown marathon training programme last week and now I'm beginning to cross off the days until the Stockholm Marathon arrives on June 10th. My training programme is nothing new or original and simply involves a series of shortish, medium and long runs with a few extra long runs thrown in at the weekends. In the past week I've really felt a leap forward in my performance and strength. I run a regular 5 mile (Potten End Route) which is a mixture of canal, road, forest and field running, with a long tough hill in the middle to sap the energy. The best time I've ever done it in before this week was about 38 mins 40 secs but this week I crashed straight through the 38 minute barrier and recorded a personal best of 37 min 59.5secs. What a feeling! And I can go faster - 37 minutes is possible. I'll let you know if I get there.

Last night I set out to do a 2.5 hour run, hoping to maybe cover 16-17 miles. As it happens I managed 18 miles in 2hr 40 mins and I was being held up by a much slower running partner (not my regular partner). I know I could have gone quite a bit faster and I finished strongly without any knee pains or muscle problems at all. Of course I was a bit tired, who wouldn't be after 18 miles, but I know I could have run the whole marathon distance last night in under 4 hours.

If I can keep injury free I am now confident of going well below 4 hours and maybe even get near my dream goal of 3 hr 40min.

To what do I attribute my, seemingly sudden, increase in speed and strength. Well, obviously the regular training and the number of miles that I'm squeezing in but I really think one of the major factors is my regular Juice Plus supplements (see sidebar for more details) and the Complete powder that I drink after every long run. It is keeping my muscles oxygenated and injury free and as any runner will tell you, if you can remain injury free then your training really pays off. Also, and I almost hate to admit it, I am beginning to think that my Q-Link pendant is genuinely contributing to my increased energy levels. I've been wearing it now for two months and I'm recovering quickly from runs and feeling less tired at all other times.

All in all, a good week which has seen my confidence levels rise, my times fall and my sense of excitement grow stronger. Bring it on!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home