Marathon Training and Nutrition

<Marathon Training and Nutrition>

Monday, March 05, 2007

Berkhamsted Half Marathon

The first Sunday of March each year features the annual running of the Berkhamsted Half Marathon. It is a hilly half with at least three major climbs and a couple of other quite steep climbs en route. This year it was compounded by extremely bad weather. The start time was 11.30am and by the time this arrived the rain was lashing down and the wind was blowing strongly - not the ideal conditions for a race. The good news is that I wasn't able to run it!! I work on a Sunday morning (I'm a minister) and so I decided to run the exact same route this morning (Monday) in much more benign conditions. I reckoned that the improvement in weather conditions would be offset by the lack of company and lack of encouragement from spectators. In the end I ran a very credible 1hr 47 min 55 secs which I was happy with given my collapse three weeks ago. I feel that I'm now over the worst of whatever it was that was fatiguing me so much and that my training is back on track.

I'm beginning to focus now on the Oakley 20 miler at the beginning of April and my wife and I are heading off to Turkey for a couple of weeks at the end of March and will do some warmish weather running out there. On course for a decent time I think.

I've been wearing the Q-Link necklace thingy for a week now and I think it is making a difference. I don't feel the same flagging of energy at the end of the day and I've just finished a very hectic week feeling pretty good in the energy department. I also noticed that my knees didn't hurt today at the end of the run. Its obviously very early days yet but I'll keep monitoring how I feel and let you know. the problem is that it is all very subjective and I don't really know how I'd be feeling if I wasn't wearing it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home