Marathon Training and Nutrition

<Marathon Training and Nutrition>

Friday, December 08, 2006

One of these great runs!!

Tonight was a 'good-to-be-alive' night. I came in from work, got on my running gear and then blitzed my usual route. Did my best time ever (29 minutes for 7 k) and arrived home from my marathon training feeling quite fresh. One name you'll need to get used to if you read this blog regularly is 'Castle Hill'. Its a killer hill near my home and I regularly have to run up it at the end of a run. Its about half a mile long and very steep, especially right at the end. Tonight I flew up it. I'm not sure why it was so easy tonight and so hard at the beginning of the week but it might be as simple as it being a Friday night with a nice weekend lying ahead. Who knows.

Tomorrow morning I meet up with Andrew for our long(ish) run. We're aiming for about 10 miles tomorrow at a decent pace. I'll let you know how it goes.

Off to Salsa now!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some similarities between us. I began running late in life (54) and I train a lot over 'Castle Hill'. But I don't know why you're making all this fuss over running a marathon. Running is as natural walking, breathing eating, etc..
I ran my first marathon 15 months into my running career - from an average of just under 30 miles per week. OK, I'd altered my diet, but only so far as insisting on everything as fresh as possible. And I didn't particularly drink lots of fluid - and never carried water on long runs.
"Aren't you nervous?" someone asked at the start of my first marathon. "Should I be?" was my reply. It was at the beginning of July, the hottest day of the year so far, with very high humidity. The marathon course included over 2,000ft of ascent. I got round in 3.30 to win the O/55's and qualify for membership of the British Marathon Runners Club. Four months later I ran a flatter marathon in 3.03 but was only 3rd O/55. I'm still running and racing at 74, but up to a maximum of ten miles now.
Yes, marathons are as much mental as physical - very much an exercise in self-discipline. You have to know exactly how you're going to run it and stick to your race plan no matter what. If you get carried along too fast at the start you'll hit the wall and ruin everything.
Good luck at Stockholm.
Runningfox.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home